Unit 2 Written Assignment
Your written assignment for Unit 2 is to apply what you learned by answering the following questions.
Keep in mind that four of the questions (2, 3, 4 & 6) have several parts to them, so proofread your work carefully before you submit to ensure you are submitting a complete and detailed assignment.
Helpful hint: Copy the six questions into your paper and answer each one underneath. This will allow you to carefully proofread your responses before you submit.
Be sure to use supporting material (personal examples, additional information) to fully respond to each question:
- Explain the statement, “Meanings are in people, not in words.”
- How can meaning be influenced by the context in which it is sent? How does culture and gender influence meanings?
- Can a word be both denotative and connotative? What do these terms mean? Do you use more denotative language or connotative language?
- What are indirect messages? Why do people use them? Why don’t people say what they really mean? Do you think you say what you really mean?
- What are some of the ways in which you can create a confirming communication climate?
- What is disconfirmation? Provide one example of each: racist, sexist, ageist, and heterosexist language.
The following criteria will be used to grade this assignment.
- 95% Content: Accurate, organized and thorough information that achieves the intended purpose
- 5% Written Communication: Clearly and concisely written, proper sentence and paragraph structure, grammar and spelling.