There’s More to Work than Just Work
Assignment 1: There’s More to Work than Just Work
Today’s workforce is looking for more than just tasks to do and a paycheck. Many employees want to be part of a bigger picture, be proud of the contribution they make, and have work/life balance. There is a lot that goes into developing an organizational culture that is productive and aligned with company goals and vision. However, fit in organizational culture is much like compatibility in a
relationshipâ€”while for some that set of qualities may be the perfect match, for others the profile is less than ideal. Along with developing a strong organizational culture and defining the components that represent it, industrial/organizational (I/O) professionals often encounter problems of counterproductive workplace behavior and are charged with finding viable ways to resolve it.
- Who is responsible for establishing and communicating organizational culture? How does organizational culture relate to organizational performance?
- Your boss wants to increase employee motivation. The group of employees in question is primarily customer service representatives at a communications company. Suggest and support at least one monetary and one nonmonetary method for motivating this group.
- At this same communications company, you notice a lot of counterproductive work behavior. Specifically, employees are spending about 18% of their work time on unrelated websites, usually related to shopping or social media. Employees also spend about 7% of their work time away from their phones, typically talking to other employees at their workstation. Of the thirty employees working, only six are engaged in active work activities for over 90% of the day. How do you address these issues of counterproductive work behavior?
- Does it matter whether an employee is satisfied? What evidence supports your view?
Your response should directly address each question, providing references and examples to support your points. You should use at least two scholarly sources cited in APA format. Comment in a substantive manner to at least two of your classmates.
- Write your initial response in a minimum of 300â€“400 words. Apply APA standards to cite your sources.
- By Thursday, March 12, 2015, post your response to the appropriate Discussion Area. Through Wednesday, March 18, 2015, review and comment on at least two classmates’ responses. Provide a statement of clarification or a point of view with a rationale, challenge a point of the discussion, or draw a relationship between two or more points of the discussion. while responding to your classmates, consider the following:
- Another perspective on one of the topic areas
- An additional reference with an interesting, a complementary, or a different view of the topic areas
- A personal example related to one of the topic areas
Discussion Grading Criteria and Rubric
All discussion assignments in this course will be graded using a rubric. This assignment is worth 40 points. Download the discussion rubric and carefully read it to understand the expectations.